Journey from here to 40

I don’t know how many times I’ve started this post only to put it aside because of one distraction or another.  At this moment, I’m sitting in a meeting area of the Royal Edwardian Sussex hotel in London.  Since my last post I’ve been in Toronto — plus points 6 hours north of Toronto — and Paris.  The distractions that have kept me from posting have included mundane things like having no access to the internet for 3 consecutive days to fun things like playing with my 3-year-old niece.

Having a Donna Summer/Rick James/Michel Polnareff moment!

It would be remiss of me not to wish you all a Happy New Year!  Sure, I’m about 2 weeks late according to the Gregorian or Western calendar but I’m early according to the Chinese calendar.  See how I made my tardiness something positive?  You like that, don’t you?

This particular trip has been hectic.  And the journey continues as the London 3-day trip turned into a 24-hour one.  As I was feeling particularly lazy this morning, and really, I needed to write a post, I didn’t anticipate seeing much of London.  I do plan on meeting up with Oneika (from Oneika the Traveller) at 4 pm so hopefully I’ll get some shots of ole London town.

D’s crazy schedule, however, means that I get to do something that quite a few people dream of doing: celebrating a birthday in Paris.

This isn’t any old birthday either and it’s the reason I’ll be cranking things up a notch in 2012.  This year I celebrate the four decades of my life.  And I consider myself lucky as my family are quite willing to indulge my caprices.  One such caprice is the multi fête that I call 2012.  Fête #1 started on Jan 7th with my dear family.  And three cakes!  And a pitcher full of my favourite summer drink: gin bramble.

Lemon? Check. Strawberry shortcake with meringue? Check. Chocolate mocha? Check!

Fête #2 will likely take place on Sunday, my birthday.  The likely place, “our” restaurant in Paris, Le Petit Champerret.  The fun doesn’t stop there.  Les parents want in on the act and who can blame them?  I am that nice!  We head south — enfin ! — to Marseille before visiting with les parents for a few days.

I’m sure we’ll eventually make that journey back to Nice.

Tags: , , , , ,

Categories: celebrating, everyday stuff, getting away, holidays, London

Author:Tanya in Transition

I am a woman in transition. I left my job of 13 years to find happiness and self-fulfillment...in France!

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

15 Comments on “Journey from here to 40”

1. January 12, 2012 at 5:42 PM #

Happy 40th Birthday Tanya! I enjoy your posts so much! I was always feel transported away to one of your exciting locales :-)

• January 13, 2012 at 4:45 PM #

Such a lovely comment; thank you. And thank you for the birthday wish too! That makes my day!!!

2. January 12, 2012 at 6:36 PM #

I couldn’t say the “f” word (foooorty) for that entire year… wait until the DOUBLE “f” word (FiFty) Painful… but, lovely at the same time.
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
    XO
    V
    THREE CAKES!!! Wowsers!

• January 13, 2012 at 4:44 PM #

Thanks for the birthday wishes!!!
      Lol, it’s not so bad, is it? I expect it (forty AND fifty) will be as lovely as your blog. Speaking of which, I’ve been a snooper on your blog — I think I found you via Jamie’s blog — and I must say that I love it. Lovely recipes and photos and I am completely with you re: buying local. Keep up the good work!

3. January 13, 2012 at 7:24 AM #

Yay, I get to say Bonne Année & Bonne Anniversaire to you all in one post, too cool! Glad to hear you had a great holiday & also happy you made it back safely to France…. sounds like you’re going to be doing some major partying and LOVE the 3 cakes – trés bonne idée!! Happy Birthday Tanya, live it up & enjoy les parents & Marseille!

• January 13, 2012 at 4:36 PM #

Thanks Tuula! I wish I could say the 3 cakes were my idea. That was the job of my husband who wasn’t happy that there wasn’t a chocolate cake in my cake choice so he added the 3rd one. They were all very yummy so no regrets! And yes, I’m happy to be back in France but I’m dying to head home to Nice and get back into the groove.

4. January 13, 2012 at 9:21 PM #

Congrats and best wishes! I could eat all 3! :)

5. January 14, 2012 at 3:45 PM #

Happy Birthday Tanya sounds like you are ringing in your birthday in fine style.

6. January 18, 2012 at 10:47 PM #

Happy Birthday! It seems this year has started in a very dynamic way! Even 3 cakes, you’re a lucky girl! They look delicious! =)

• January 20, 2012 at 11:19 AM #

LOL, it WAS fun having 3 cakes…and they were delish. Cake number 4 was shared with my hubby and in-laws and it too was scrumptious!

7. January 22, 2012 at 2:39 PM #

Happy belated Birthday Tanya! By the looks of it you had a lovely time (who wouldn’t eating three cakes?!).

8. Dienna
    February 5, 2012 at 12:46 AM #

Happy belated birthday! Those cakes look delicious. I hope your birthday celebration was awesome.

• February 5, 2012 at 11:44 AM #

Thanks Dienna! It was a wonderful birthday with some pretty delicious cakes!!!