One luxurious night in Paris and meeting new friends

I love Paris.  The best part about being in Paris can be the hotel stay.  (It’s sometimes the worst part too as some of the reviews you find online don’t paint a clear and true picture.  Eh bien…)

Our most recent visit to Paris was lining up to be among the best.  D had meetings in Paris on Tuesday and Wednesday before heading to Prague for a conference.  Lucky little ol’ me, I get to tag along.  And this is where the going gets good.  As a little reward for me — D had one of his “oh, what the heck” moments — he had booked one night in a junior suite at the Hotel Napoleon.  (Click here to access the hotel’s website.)  This little treat was also to offset the sub-par experience we had the last time we were in Paris.

So, imagine me, giddy like a schoolgirl at the prospect of spending one night at a place called Hotel Napoleon.  The hotel’s website says they’re located one minute from the Arc de Triomphe.  (If you don’t already know, D proposed to me last year at the top of the Arc so this monument means a lot to both of us.)  Just the thought of the Arc de Triomphe is enough to put a smile on my face.

My excitement at staying at this hotel was, in a word, justified.  The hotel was lovely and the service was charming.  I felt like a princess as I followed one of the concierge staff to the suite.  How decadent it was to have someone take my coat and store it away for me!  The concierge checked to make sure that everything was set, that there was loo paper in the toilet room.  He turned on lights and checked that there was soap, shampoo, towels ready to be used.  He took out the little baggage rack and stacked my luggage on top.  I absolutely loved it!

After the concierge left, I took a moment to relax in the suite before having a shower.  Y’see, I had people to meet too!  It was to be a meeting of the minds over cupcakes and tea.  I met up with Sion and Opal at Scarlett’s Bakery.

If you follow Sion’s blog you already know that the cupcakes didn’t match our expectations.  They were more cake — or muffin-like, if you will – than cupcake in texture.  While the flavours were decidedly grown-up  (I had a nougat cupcake and a thé vert/matcha/rose cupcake) the texture was a little lacking.  Tant pis!

And we did see a guy in the cupcake shop!  I don’t think he bought anything…but we know he’ll be back!

Muffins and cupcakes aside, it was a treat to meet Sion and Opal in person.  We chatted over tea and shared our stories about our lives in France.  It was extra special for me because Sion’s blog was the first one that I read (I think every single post) when D and I decided that we would make our own move.  It was like coming full circle.

All too soon, it was time to go our separate ways but great company, several cups of tea, and cupcakes — even French ones — make for a wonderful afternoon in Paris!

Tags: , , ,

Categories: getting out, getting together

Author:Tanya in Transition

I am a woman in transition. I left my job of 13 years to find happiness and self-fulfillment...in France!

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

16 Comments on “One luxurious night in Paris and meeting new friends”

1. February 7, 2011 at 3:52 PM #

I’m so glad you got to stay in good digs this time. It looks lovely…very Parisian. I got to meet Sion the last time I was in Paris too. As lovely in person as she is on her blog. I hope we’ll get a chance to meet too but it doesn’t look like it will be at the Blogapalooza. C’est dommage.

• February 7, 2011 at 3:55 PM #

Say it ain’t so Delana! Oh, I was so looking forward to meeting you! Well, we’ll just have to do it some other time then when our schedules match, yes?
      Yes, it was a very lovely hotel. The one we stayed at the previous time around was less than lovely but thankfully is only a mere memory. :-)
      And yes, Sion is as lovely as her blog and I was so happy to finally meet her.

2. Opal Taylor
    February 7, 2011 at 6:00 PM #

Yeah! new entry! Did you find cupcakes in Prague? Next time you come we’ll go to Sugarplum which is not a cupcake shop but a cake/treats place. One word DEVINE, a great find thanks to Milla of notjustanothermilla! It won’t disappoint! Please send me pics at otay24@yahoo.com.
    Ciao!

• February 7, 2011 at 10:58 PM #

LOL! No, I didn’t go looking for cupcakes in Prague but I did eat well during the stay. And yes, I’m all for cakes and treats and other yummy stuff. Pics are on their way too! Cheers!

3. February 7, 2011 at 10:22 PM #

Hi Tanya (and hi Delana!),
    Of all the Paris blogs, I am delighted you somehow ended up on mine first (how the heck did that happen? :) ) It was so wonderful finally meeting you!

Also, that is the *cutest* photo of the three of us. AND, that hotel room is to die for. You were telling us about it, but the visual brings it all home. Wow.

Ok, my turn next. When should I come down south? :)

• February 7, 2011 at 11:04 PM #

I think I had googled France/Paris and visa and/or some other paperwork madness. I happened to click to your blog and there you were. The first post I read was about your taxes or something. It was interesting but daunting at the same time.
      I think it’s a fab photo too! :-)
      As for the hotel room, that picture is just of the room. There was a coat room, the toilet room, the bath/shower room plus a mini hallway connecting the rooms. It was absolutely gorgeous.
      Anytime! In all seriousness, we’ll need to schedule something so you can come visit!!! Would you believe that we’re away again as of next week Tues? After that, we’re in town until Mar 20-something.

4. February 7, 2011 at 11:41 PM #

You girls look FANTABULOUS! So very pretty! Tanya, you are giving me SEVERE loc envy- your hair is gorgeous! My locs are about the same thickness but wayyyyy shorter so on days where I want to shave it off and throw in some extentions, I will remember how beautiful your hair is and be patient and wait for it to grow out.

Also, thanks for introducing me to these new blogs!! I used to read Opal’s old blog way back and looking forward to checking out her new one and can’t wait to catch up on Sian’s blog.

Love how active the blogging community is out there! Can I come to all your France blog meetups when I move to the UK later this year?! Pretty please?!

• February 8, 2011 at 10:28 AM #

We ARE gorgeous, aren’t we? :-)

And thank you…and be patient. I went through that stage too where I was wondering if I should just shave my head. Obviously I didn’t and I’m happy at the results.

And sure, when you’re in France you must let us know!

5. February 8, 2011 at 1:52 PM #

It sounds like you had a fabulous time and you got to stay in that cool hotel, great. Reading your musings just makes me want to visit Paris even more, one of these days.It must have been so nice meeting those ladies in person. Thanks for sharing.

• February 8, 2011 at 3:31 PM #

I did have a blast! The hotel stay was absolutely lovely. That said, not every hotel is like that. I’ve stayed in some serious duds, let me tell you. But that one was extra special. And meeting Opal and Sion was more than fun! It’s cool to know that I now have two friends there. Isn’t that the great thing about blogging?!

6. February 8, 2011 at 9:07 PM #

Tanya, I am sooo jealous that you got to go! It would have been so much fun to meet you in Paris – I wish I hadn’t have been too sick to make it!

It looks like you have a wonderful time quand même and since we are not that far from each other at all, perhaps we should meet up in Nice sometime? I should have thought about that the last time I came through for a day trip.

• February 8, 2011 at 11:41 PM #

I thought of it too but the last time you were here I wasn’t so it wouldn’t have worked! But most def, if you know in advance — my sched is sometimes crazy — let me know and we can grab a coffee or something together.

Yeah, I recall that you were sick and didn’t get to go. That would have been fun, meeting up in Paris! There’s still time; it can still happen! :-)

7. February 9, 2011 at 1:32 PM #

Oh la la Tanya, you had such a lovely trip to Paris! Did you go to Prague as well? Isn’t it an amazing place!? So pretty.

Hope to see you in Paris next time.

M

• February 9, 2011 at 2:13 PM #

Yes, I did go to Prague as well. It’s a beautiful city although this time I didn’t get out as much. Thankfully, it wasn’t my first time there so it wasn’t so bad.

8. February 17, 2011 at 7:31 PM #

Wow that hotel is INCREDIBLE! I can’t wait til I save money/marry rich and I actually stay some place other than a hostel while in Europe…

• February 20, 2011 at 1:18 PM #

LOL, you’re hilarious Melissa.
      Don’t wait for a rich husband…just go on hotels.com or booking.com and choose! (Besides, you can be the one with the money!!!)
      I love your blog by the way. You do crack me up!